Our urinary tract system gets rid of our body’s excess liquid waste. The kidney filters the blood and removes everything the body doesn’t use. These organs should work smoothly until it doesn’t. Sometimes things could go wrong and the natural functions of these organs fail. That’s why it is imperative having a urologist and see them regularly.
Urology is that part of health care that deals with the male and female urinary tract system (kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. It also deals with the male reproductive system. And Since health problems in these body parts can happen to everyone, your urologic health is important.
What is a Urologist?
A urologist is a specialist of the urinary tract and male reproductive system. They handle situations involving your kidney, ureters, bladders, urethra and all the muscles and nerves associated with them. They are also the primary doctors that addresses the problems of the penis, testes, scrotum and prostate.
Medical Conditions involving Urology
Here are some of the common medical conditions that needs or involves urology:
- Urinary Tract Infections – UTI is a condition where bacteria get into the urethra. This condition is more common on women. Its symptoms may be easier to identify, but a proper diagnosis is required for a proper treatment plan
- Kidney Stones – these are the small hard deposits made from calcium and other minerals in your kidney. If early symptoms are ignored, you may need surgery later on to treat this condition
- Enlarged Prostate – This condition is often caused by the overgrowth of your prostate gland. It is believed to be linked to the hormonal changes as a man get older. This condition is also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and affects about 33% of adult male population
- Prostatitis – this condition has similar effects as enlarged prostate but is often caused by an inflammation and infection. Men with this condition may experience painful ejaculation or urination
- Incontinence – this condition is the inability to control urination
- Hematuria – this is the condition where blood is found in the urine
- Cancer – all cancers related to the urinary system and male reproductive system will be dealt with a urologist
- Erectile Dysfunction – having trouble getting and maintaining an erection is a condition where a urologist can identify the underlying cause of
- Male Infertility – if you and your partner are having trouble conceiving, it is important to visit infertility specialist for both male and female. Male infertility is one of urology specialization
- Kidney Diseases – kidney failure is a life-threatening condition, so if you have problems with your kidney see a urologist immediately
Seeing a urologist is an important part for your overall health. Urinary issues, illness and diseases relating to your kidney, and conditions affecting the male reproductive system is where a urologist specializes. Your urologist will order tests that will make the diagnosis clear and point the way of the best treatment options.
At Doral Health and Wellness, our highly-trained team of urologist will help you manage your health to live a better-quality life. To book an appointment, please visit or call at 347-868-1098.